Fractions: Common Core Aligned for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades
Frantic Fraction task cards are a fun hands-on resource designed to help you introduce and reinforce the concept of fractions in an engaging way! Frantic Fraction math center is Common Core aligned. These are also great for a Math-Around-the Room activity!
My kids and I LOVE these hands-on math center activities that use the relationships between Pattern Blocks to build and challenge fraction knowledge. The activities are really fun! Each one allows for individual creativity while building student understanding of fractions! After completing the center activities, even my struggling math students:
• Understood equivalent and improper fractions, mixed numbers
• Could name equivalent fractions between halves, thirds, and sixths.
• Could visualize adding and subtracting halves, thirds, and sixths
• Could visualize common denominators
• Could add and subtract halves, thirds, and sixths
When I directly taught these same concepts, students already had background knowledge that helped them comprehend at a much deeper level! Each activity may be completed in multiple ways for differentiation.
Included are 16 different center activities, a Convince Me page for justifying answers, student work samples and an assessment with an answer key for use after students have done the centers.
• The activities are aligned with Common Core Standards 3.NF.1, 4.NF.1, 4.NF.2, 4.NF.3, and 5.NF.1
• The only materials necessary are: center activities, Pattern Blocks, math journal, and pencil.
• Students choose an activity and complete the required design in at least one way.
• They trace their design in their math journal or onto the included triangle paper.
• Students write a “convince me” statement that explains how their design matches the challenge activity. You can have students color the design to match the Pattern Blocks used.